By Ella Andrews of
Westminster House Cleaning
In most cases we are used to green cleaning efforts with either commercial cleaning products, vinegar, baking soda or lemons, but not many of us realize that hydrogen peroxide is not only a good antiseptic for treating open wounds, but also an excellent cleaning agent. You may be amazed at the usefulness of peroxide in the long run and it will save you a good deal of money as well.
Since bleach is one of the most commonly used chemicals used in cleaning homes, we should pay attention to why you should do what you can without using bleach. It is a serious and harsh chemical with toxic fumes and a heavy smell that lingers, not to mention the fact its dangerous to handle it without gloves as well. Mix bleach up ammonia and you have a life-threatening, toxic combination which may suffocate you to death. Hydrogen peroxide on the other hand looks very much like water, but it offers a much safer alternative to cleaning which doesn't stick around or create dangerous fumes as a result of its use.
There are two separate types of solutions of hydrogen peroxide available on the market. The first one is a 35% peroxide. This one is heavily oxidized, making it very strong. There is some debate whether this particular kind is safe for home cleaning, so keep that in mind and that it may not be the best choice overall if you want safe results. The other kind is the usual 3% solution we've all used at one time or another, either to sanitize a wound, needle or surgical instrument or to bleach hair. You can find it pretty much anywhere, so from this point on you should keep in mind that this article refers to this type, rather than its stronger and meaner 35% cousin.
Using Hydrogen Peroxide by
Westminster House Cleaning
The greatest thing about peroxide as a cleaner is the fact that its safer than bleach and much less hazardous to the environment. You can even find it on sale in many drug stores if you are lucky in finding such a sale. You can pour some of the peroxide in a spray bottle and straight out use it as an all-purpose cleaner. You can use it on countertops, bathtubs, sinks and more. You can use a cup of peroxide to brighten up your white laundry as well. You can spray it on a surface plagued by mildew and mold and it will greatly help eliminate it after you leave it on for about ten minutes or so. You can also use it in your dishwasher or even mixed together with some water for mopping your floors. You can also use it to sanitize your cutting boards and knives after cutting meat and fish, as it will kill bacteria outright. Use it to sanitize your bathroom, toilet bowls and other parts of your home.
Additional Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
Just when you believe peroxide can't do more than that, you could find other uses for it you may not have been aware of. You can soak your toothbrushes in them to kill the germs and prolong their lives. You should make sure you rinse your toothbrushes before you use them after such a treatment. You can also use a mix of 50:50 parts of peroxide and water to sanitize your sponges as well, just remember to rinse them as well when you're done.
Tip #2 - Pet Odor and Stain Removal
For carpet or upholstery.
This technique actually removes the offending substance instead of just covering it up as most products do.
1. Lightly dampen surface of stained area using a spray bottle of plain tap water.
2. Sprinkle baking soda liberally over damp surface.
3. Let completely dry (approx 8 hours -overnight works best)
note: the odor will get stronger as the baking soda pulls the offending substance to the surface. This is temporary.
4. When completely dry, sweep up loose baking soda and vacuum up the rest.
5. Repeat as necessary.
Tip #3 - Cleaning your Microwave Oven
For inside the microwave. Instead of having some smelly/toxic cleaner contaminate the place where you cook your food, this technique actually freshens as it cleans. And it is so easy!
1. place a half a lemon in microwave safe cup. I use a glass measuring cup.
2. add enough water to cover the lemon, not too full as it may boil over
3. place the cup in the microwave and cook on high until boiling (about 4-5 minutes in most microwave ovens, read your owners manual if you are not sure)
4. Allow to sit for an additional 2-3 minutes.
5. Very carefully, remove the cup from the microwave oven. It will be very hot, use oven mitts.
Wipe the now softened food residue from the interior surface of the microwave using a clean, damp cloth.
For more tips, visit our Facebook Page and click the "like" button.